Constitution of the JALT Kyoto Chapter
I. Name and Purpose
1. The name of the association shall be the Kyoto Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching, and in Japanese, Zenkoku Gogaku Kyouiku Gakkai Kyoto Shibu, hereafter referred to as Kyoto JALT.
2. Kyoto JALT is a chapter of the nationwide NPO The Japan Association for Language Teaching, hereafter referred to as JALT. Its purpose is to serve as the regional entity of JALT in Kyoto, conducting activities for those interested in the improvement of language teaching and learning in Japan, and contributing to the development of activities in language teaching and learning, social education and international cooperation.
3. In the conduct of its activities, Kyoto JALT shall comply with the policies and directives of the JALT National Executive Board, and act in accordance with the provisions of the national constitution and bylaws.
II. Membership1. Membership is open to those interested in language teaching and learning.
2. A person who joins JALT National may choose to be a member of Kyoto JALT.
3. A person who does not join JALT National may participate in any local event as a one-day trial member.
4. There are no residency requirements to join Kyoto JALT.
III. Chapter Meetings and the Annual General Meeting
1. Kyoto JALT will periodically sponsor or endorse events related to language education. This may be done independently or in cooperation with JALT, Associate Members of JALT, other JALT groups or other organizations interested in language education.
2. Kyoto JALT shall hold an Annual General Meeting, as part of a regular monthly meeting, prior to the JALT Conference EBM. At this meeting, the chapter officers will report on the state of the chapter's treasury, programs, membership, and publicity during the period since the last Annual General Meeting. Officers for the coming year will be elected at the AGM.
3. The Annual General Meeting will be preceded by adequate notification to the membership. Members of the chapter present at the Annual General Meeting will constitute a quorum.
IV. Officers and Administration
1. Kyoto JALT's Executive Board will consist of a minimum of five officers, including a President, a Treasurer, a Program Chair, a Membership Chair and a Publicity Chair. If sufficient volunteers are available to serve, additional officer positions to the required five will be filled. More than one officer may share a specific position and the duties of that office.
2. At the Kyoto JALT Executive Board meetings, five officers, including the President, will constitute a quorum, with each officer having one vote. When the physical presence of a quorum is impractical, mail or electronic communication may be used to obtain the approval of the officers for the Kyoto JALT Executive Board to conduct business on behalf of Kyoto JALT.
3. The Kyoto JALT Executive Board will meet periodically to discuss the chapter's plans for chapter meetings and activities, and to discuss the implications of policies under consideration or already implemented by the JALT National Executive Board. An agenda will be prepared before the meeting, and minutes of the meeting will be provided to Kyoto JALT Executive Board members. Alternatively, electronic discussions using email shall be used when face-to- face meetings are not possible.
4. The president or a designated chapter representative is authorized to act on behalf of the organization in its dealings with the JALT National Executive Board.
5. The Kyoto JALT Executive Board shall determine and announce the date for the Annual General Meeting. At the AGM, each of the five primary officers will present an oral report and provide a written report covering operations for their area of responsibility to be distributed to the members present. All written reports will also be posted to the chapter web site.
6. The Kyoto JALT Executive Board will consider any suggestion or proposal submitted in writing by a Kyoto JALT member, and reply in writing upon request.
Amendments to this Constitution shall be proposed by a majority vote of the Kyoto JALT Executive Board. Any such proposed amendments shall be distributed to the members before the Annual General Meeting. To become effective, constitutional amendments must be approved by two-thirds of the members voting at the Annual General Meeting.
Bylaws of The Kyoto Chapter of the Japan Association for Language Teaching
I. Membership and Dues1. Kyoto JALT National Membership dues shall be determined by JALT.
2. Kyoto JALT One-Day Membership dues shall be determined by the Kyoto JALT Executive Board.
3. The chapter shall maintain a minimum number of national members in good standing in accordance with the requirements stated in the JALT Constitution and Bylaws.
II. Officer Duties and Committees
1. President: The President shall have general responsibility for coordinating the activities of the Kyoto JALT Executive Board, directing and publicizing the affairs of the chapter, and representing its interests to the JALT National Executive Board. He/She shall preside at the Kyoto JALT Executive Board meetings, and at the Annual General Meeting. With the approval of the Kyoto JALT Executive Board, he/she may appoint committees as deemed necessary to carry out the work of the organization.
2. Treasurer: The Treasurer shall maintain all financial records, be responsible for collecting and disbursing all funds of Kyoto JALT, accepting payment of membership dues, reimbursing individuals for JALT-related expenses, and submitting financial reports as directed by JALT policy, including the annual budget.
3. Program Chair: The Program Chair shall be responsible for supervising the arrangements for Kyoto JALT chapter meetings, communication with speakers and recruitment of prospective speakers. He/She must also provide timely information to the Publicity Chair and fulfill all reporting requirements about meetings and presenters for the JALT Program Database.
4. Publicity Chair: The Publicity Chair shall be responsible for coordinating Kyoto JALT's publicity and public relations in both JALT and non-JALT forums. The Publicity Chair will be responsible to work closely with the Membership Chair to regularly update the chapter membership records. Updating all Kyoto JALT data on the jalt.org website shall be the responsibility of the Publicity chair.
5. The Membership Chair shall be responsible for the maintenance of current and past member records, communicating with the JALT Central Office, the Kyoto Publicity Chair and working at the reception desk at meetings.
6. The position each officer holds shall be determined by the Kyoto JALT Executive Board. In addition to the five required positions, officer positions may be instituted to identify other important responsibilities such as: Recording Secretary, Facilities Chair, Vice President, Website Editor, and Member-at-Large. In addition, any number of volunteer officers may work together as a team using titles to reflect such sharing of responsibilities such as Co-Publicity, etc.
7. Membership on committees appointed by the President is open to ordinary chapter members. The chair of each committee, however, must be a member of the Kyoto JALT Executive Board.
III. Nominations, Elections, Vacancies, and Removals1. Nominations for officers by members in good standing shall be solicited and accepted by the Kyoto JALT Executive Board, either in writing prior to the Annual General Meeting or in person at the meeting.
2. Candidates must acknowledge acceptance of nomination, and provide relevant biographical information at the Annual General Meeting.
3. The Executive Board members shall be empowered to poll the voting members in the form of a primary chapter election in order to determine a slate of officers to be presented as a motion for approval by the Executive Board. There is no limit to the number of officer positions that can be created or shared. Voting members shall be limited to Kyoto Chapter Members in good standing with JALT National.
4. If no officer positions are being contested among two or more candidates, the Kyoto JALT Executive Board may present the full slate of officers to the membership at the Annual General Meeting for approval by the members present. If there are contested positions, elections will take place at the Annual General Meeting or prior to the AGM via the Internet, with the results subject to approval by the Kyoto JALT Executive Board.
5. The terms of office shall be for one year. The terms of office shall be from the end of the Annual General Meeting up to and including the next year's Annual General Meeting. Reelection of any officers shall not be prohibited.
6. If for any reason an office becomes vacant, the vacancy shall be filled by Presidential appointment, subject to approval by the Kyoto JALT Executive Board.
7. An officer who fails to perform his/her duties under the Kyoto JALT Constitution and Bylaws, the Kyoto JALT Executive Board policies, or the JALT National Executive Board policies may be removed from office by a three-fourths vote of the Kyoto JALT Executive Board.
IV. Meetings1. The chapter shall hold a minimum number of meetings each calendar year in accordance with the requirements stated in the JALT Constitution and Bylaws.
2. In the event of convening an Annual General Meeting, written notice of date, place, purposes and agenda of the Annual General Meeting shall reach Kyoto JALT members at least 5 days before the Annual General Meeting.
V. Financial YearKyoto JALT's financial year shall begin on April 1st and end on March 31st.
VI. LanguageFor administrative purposes, the working languages of Kyoto JALT shall be mainly in English, but the usage of Japanese is welcomed.
VII. AmendmentsAmendments to these Bylaws may be proposed by a majority vote of the Kyoto JALT Executive Board. Any such proposed amendments shall be distributed to the members before the Annual General Meeting. To become effective, proposed amendments must be approved by a simple majority of the members voting at the Annual General Meeting. Alternatively, these Bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the Kyoto JALT Executive Board.
VIII. Management of MeetingsThe President shall recommend procedures for the management of the Kyoto JALT Executive Board, the Chapter Meetings, and the Annual General Meeting. In case of objections to such recommendations, the Executive Board members present shall discuss and agree upon rules and procedures to manage the meeting, consistent with the Constitution and Bylaws.
Approved by the Kyoto Executive Board on 10/30/2005.